Ozma

Sail under the banner of Freedom.

Ozma

Postby iskra » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:50 am

For starters, I realized we are getting to discuss an ONGOING Matsumoto series. Something that's happening right now, rather than 30 years ago or hopefully some time in the future. Perhaps it won't make the greatest hit, but the very fact boggles my mind :D
iskra
Rabbit

Re: Ozma

Postby animekritik » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:49 pm

Well, ongoing until about 24 hours from now, when it ends.

Although this is a very small project overall, for better or worse the image of Leiji will definitely be affected by how it's received. That's why I hope tomorrow we'll get a solid finale to the series. I imagine whether we do or not could affect, for example, funding for Zero Desigze. I guess the CG Harlock project already has its (big) budget so that'll be fine no matter what.

I wonder what's happening with live-action 999 too...
animekritik
Revolutionary

Postby iskra » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:56 pm

I am keeping my fingers crossed for a solid ending! How is it being received so far then? Do you think as a standalone franchise it can gain Leiji new fans?

What I don't quite get is the differences between the races. Maya's revelations confused me.
Natura are ordinary people, that's easy. Ideal Children use cloning and gene selection - but does it mean that they transfer their minds to new bodies? But now some of the Theseus are using Natura genes and others don't, and some of the latter may not do it because they believe it wrong (Danga, if that's the name) and others I bet just can't get the material. Must be in short supply.

If the Theseus transfer their minds, then it makes them another version of "immortal" mecha people. But apparently it's not quite so, otherwise what's the difference between Maya and Danga? So then there's this unique thousand year old girl that uses one-of-a-kind body-restoration techniques (aha, that sounds familiar, doesn't it), so... :?: :?: :?:
iskra
Rabbit

Postby animekritik » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:21 pm

Maya is the only one that clones her own body over and over and transfers her mind.

The Theseus basically do genetic engineering, creating a super race. They're simply enhanced Natura (=regular human beings). But not that their genetics are breaking down, they are starting to do mind transfers.

I guess the only possible explanation is that Maya has taught them how to do this mind transfer thing recently. Otherwise why not use it earlier? Maybe we'll find out tomorrow. (We keep getting hints that Maya is somehow morally bad in some way and she is ashamed to tell the Natura).

Anyway, as you suggest, the parallel between Maya's technology vs the Theseus people on the one hand, and Maetel's technology vs the mechanized people's on the other hand, is definitely striking.

I don't know how it's being received in Japan (and remember, that's all that matters whether we like it or not). I do think over in the English-language world quite a few people like it enough so that it might propel them to watch other series. That said, very few major bloggers are covering it (Random Curiosity is one, Metanorn is another, though the Metanorn reviews are basically from an anti-Ozma standpoint).
animekritik
Revolutionary

Postby iskra » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:18 pm

When in the last episode Sam was shouting something like "Let her go, her body is so frail" I first was annoyed at him in a sort of "when are you going to stop, boy?" way, but then realized it was an important point. I wish her frailty were more obvious - Maya looks like a typical slim-waist, slim-wrist, slim-everything Leiji girl and Leiji girls easily survive nuclear blasts it seems. (Sam's eyes are obviously more sympathetic than mine :) )

That said, I like how worn out some Theseus look - especially Gido's second in command.
iskra
Rabbit

Postby animekritik » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:07 pm

I guess technically if you pinch Maya she will fall apart.

Not a very good outlook for Sam's romantic possibilities :D

I get that Gido's right-hand woman is worn down, but she looks too worn down!
animekritik
Revolutionary

Postby animekritik » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:45 pm

Did crunchyroll just decide to make free users wait one week to watch this last episode, when they've been letting off watch them at the same time as subscribed users until today?? :x

Sure, I can sign up for the free trial offer conveniently available now, but I won't.

EDIT: Broke down and signed up for it :roll:
animekritik
Revolutionary

Postby iskra » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:46 pm

Damn, the same problem!!!
Botheration. Ok, I'm surrendering too. Off to watch :D
iskra
Rabbit

Postby iskra » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:05 pm

OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG! I don't regret I did.
iskra
Rabbit

Postby animekritik » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:36 pm

I hope it's not too much of a hassle to get off the service now :roll:
animekritik
Revolutionary

Next

Return to The Leijiverse