Ozma

Sail under the banner of Freedom.

Re: Ozma

Postby iskra » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:58 pm

Hehe, I have about a dollar on my card, if i can't cancel it, they are welcome to take it :)

Oh, manly tears TM!

So... there's something I'm wondering about - you hardly said anything about the names in your posts. Bainas, apart from being an Emeraldas type (and, apparently, a Ravenclaw, or a football fan), has the same name ending. Is it meaningful? Anything of interest?
iskra
Rabbit

Postby animekritik » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:17 pm

Usually I do discuss the names, huh.

Bainas sounds to me like a version of Venus. 3 of the 33 women in Sexaroid have this -as ending in their name, so Leiji likes it quite a bit I guess.

I don't really see anything of much significance. Sam and Dick sound very American too me (in a Japanese context). Danga sounds pretty Japanese but it doesn't have any meaning. It might reflect an abbreviation of Danguard (which is pronounced Dangaado in Japanese).

Theseus and Bardanos, nice names, but I don't see any significance..
animekritik
Revolutionary

Postby iskra » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:56 pm

Feeling perfectly accomplished in German I pass on to other languages now!

Can Bardanos have something to do with 'bardana'? A desert plant...

Or, I found this dubious etymology of an Italian place Bardano:

I consider the main etym of the word to be DAN-.

In Greek, "danos'" = likely to burn, DRY, arid.

Bardano < * bar' + danos. The word "bar...danos" is not attested in my vocabulary, but its is plausible, as there is a long list of words which have the intensifying adverb "baru" {bary, from barys}: heavily, strongly, seriously, gravely, truly/quite [Latin; Vere and...? Very], unhealthly [for a town], lowly (for a tone), and the like. So,

Bardano < * bar' + danos < * baru-danos = gravely dry. And that's how that chasm [voragine, baratro, in Italian] called Vardanu is and probably has been for the past three thousand years. (The river by the Rupe, on the south side of Longobardi is a constant water source on a modest scale.)

Bardano = The Very Dry One [River or Crevice]

... or so it seems.

Kinda like the Greek origin. It matches the Monokeros, for one. And there's another vessel with a Greek name roaming the Leijiverse.
iskra
Rabbit

Postby animekritik » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:41 am

Yup, Bardanos sounded Greek. Or to be completely accurate, it sounded to me like a Greek rendering of a Persian word (like the sort one finds in Herodotus Histories).

The etymology sounds good to me :P
animekritik
Revolutionary

Postby yamiangie » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:32 pm

animekritik wrote:Did crunchyroll just decide to make free users wait one week to watch this last episode, when they've been letting off watch them at the same time as subscribed users until today?? :x

Sure, I can sign up for the free trial offer conveniently available now, but I won't.

EDIT: Broke down and signed up for it :roll:

What was up with that borrowed my boyfriends log in to watch. I think the annoyance had an impact on how i enjoyed the episode
yamiangie

Postby animekritik » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:52 pm

It was pretty dastardly. Look, if you're going to do that, at least announce it when you put up the fifth episode. Say, btw guys, next week the last episode will be only for members, but you can use our free trial membership blah blah blah.

It really sucked the way they did it. Like they were desperate or something..
animekritik
Revolutionary

Postby iskra » Tue May 01, 2012 11:17 pm

Don't forget to cancel it. I did just now. It's the usual stufF - no action means silent agreement to pay :)

The good thing is Crunchyroll is now streaming in my region. The funny thing was I had more technical issues and slower connection with VIP steaming.
iskra
Rabbit

Postby animekritik » Wed May 02, 2012 12:07 am

I canceled it too. They were quite good about it. Didn't force me to donate blood or write an apology letter or anything.
animekritik
Revolutionary

Postby Helen Fayle » Wed May 02, 2012 12:01 pm

animekritik wrote:Usually I do discuss the names, huh.
Danga sounds pretty Japanese but it doesn't have any meaning. It might reflect an abbreviation of Danguard (which is pronounced Dangaado in Japanese).

Theseus and Bardanos, nice names, but I don't see any significance..

Hi guys! made it over here at last...

If there is a resonance with Danguard Ace that's 3... in the Manga, the enemy was a "elite" chosen few who would be permitted to emigrate to the new world (Promete - another greek reference??) and of course the story also gives us (oh hell do you have spoiler tags?? Sorry...)
a masked Harlock clone who turns out to be a long-lost relation of the young protagonist, who was previously mind-controlled by means of his mask by the bad guys...

Not sure if it's relevant but Theseus was supposed to have been the ruler who introduced democracy to Athens and brought in a golden age - prior to that he was part of a regular tribute to Crete of young men and women who (historically) were probably forced to perform in the bull-dancing contests (mythologically, sacrificed to the minotaur). Perhaps this is a subtle reference to the ICs kidnapping of young Natura and stealing their bodies??

Oh - my Oxford ED gives "Vardo" or "varda" as a romany/gyspy caravan... ba/va in Japanese being indistinuishable except by knowing what foreign word is being attempted, could it fit as a band of "gypsies"/vagabonds.. ;)

Or... (out a long limb here...) "Vardr..." in the old germanic is a root word meaning "guardian"... (I just spend a long time researching this for an SF novel I'm trying to get back into writing...)

H
Helen Fayle

Postby animekritik » Wed May 02, 2012 4:21 pm

I did hear about the masked Harlock in Danguard. I guess I should sit down and read that manga, it's relatively short.

Promete definitely sounds like Prometheus, thus connecting it with Theseus (and with Danga being like Dangaado this just gets stronger), and then your connection with the story of the Minotaur I think is very plausible~

All in all I'm starting to realize that, against all odds, Danguard is featuring prominently in this new Leiji renaissance (the Mahoroba film will have elements of it as well).

I know the actual robot only shows up at the end in the Danguard manga, but does the Jasdam ship show in the manga at all? Hmmm...I'd kill to see websites for the CG Harlock and Mahoroba film projects today.
animekritik
Revolutionary

PreviousNext

Return to The Leijiverse