Gun Frontier

Sail under the banner of Freedom.

Gun Frontier

Postby iskra » Thu May 03, 2012 9:53 pm

It's funny, isn't it, that though the whole Leijiverse forum took off BECAUSE of Gun Frontier we'd never had a thread devoted to it.

It's high time to start then! And my first question is about Kagerou no Monshu. Is it the manga where Harlock and Tochiro meet during the sea battle?
iskra
Rabbit

Re: Gun Frontier

Postby Helen Fayle » Fri May 04, 2012 11:45 am

Not that I'm aware of - it does feature Darkmeister, however, and shares GF's fascination with firearms, and a world-wide arms consipracy if I read it correctly! A dark "New World order" and set in about 1864-8 (haven't checked the dates in a while...!)

The "Harlock" type in 'Crest of Mirage' (the English is a bit less of a mouthful!) is a woman - if my admittedly shallow perusal is correct she's masquerading as her brother Edward Snell! (Mind you like Kei in the SPCH manga her hair seems to grow back at an unprecented rate! ;)

In another possible link to the GF anime, her name is Henrietta - the name that someone starts to call her in one episode - with a marked french accent: "Her real name is "on..."" before croaking. "Henriette" of course has a silent "H" and I assumed he was trying to say Henriette even BEFORE I saw CoM <shrug> Who knows??

The story moves from America to Japan and back again - certainly we have steamships (a la Frank Harlock) - and oddly, a native american main character! (Crow - I LIKE him!)

I'd like to offer up a lovely little resonance between the GF manga and Endless Odyssey's peculiar last episode - the little rowing boat Harlock finds in the Noo's dimension that Tochiro had rowed accros in? At the end of the GF manga, Tochiro leaves in one, saying farewell to Harlock and Shinonura... if deliberate, it's a nice touch!
Helen Fayle

Postby iskra » Fri May 04, 2012 9:31 pm

Helen Fayle wrote: I'd like to offer up a lovely little resonance between the GF manga and Endless Odyssey's peculiar last episode - the little rowing boat Harlock finds in the Noo's dimension that Tochiro had rowed accros in? At the end of the GF manga, Tochiro leaves in one, saying farewell to Harlock and Shinonura... if deliberate, it's a nice touch!

Ah, even if it isn't deliberate, it sounds absolutely delicious!!!

Ok, I had no idea about this story. When you were referring to zeppelins, i thought you meant Herlock vs. Emeraldus one-shot.

I remember there was a link to a Matsumoto interview where he talked about sources for Gun Frontier (or just the beginnings of Harlock, don't remember) -there was some awesome stuff there. I'll try to dig it up.
iskra
Rabbit

Postby Helen Fayle » Wed May 09, 2012 11:38 am

When DarkMeister appears on that zeppelin at the end of the anime, Harlock's face is a picture! In fact IIRC both Tochiro and Harlock rather fancy a play on that thing <g> Given the little Harlock/Emeraldas one-shot I just ache to see him finally pilot one! It'd be sooo cool!! Mind you that episode has so many lovely moments (Harlock obviously rather taken with Tochiro's pretty sister, and Tochiro and Shinonoura halfway down a cliff debating whether or not to put a distraught Harlock out of his misery thinking they're dead...: "nah... it's kind of sweet"... *git*!)

I'm rather glad they ditched most of the manga storyline... I'm used to needing brain bleach after the average Nagai Go manga, but never expected to need it for Matsumoto until then! (It set a whole new standard of "ick" for a friend of mine in describing something: "kinkier than Gun Frontier" became a benchmark! <g>) I never thought I'd voice the sentiment "please keep Harlock's clothes on..."! ;)

H
Helen Fayle

Postby animekritik » Sat May 12, 2012 2:27 pm

Hmm, I wonder what you think then about manga like Seibonjinden, where a Tetsuro clone is doing naughty things in every episode :D
animekritik
Revolutionary

Postby Helen Fayle » Sun May 13, 2012 2:21 pm

Seibonjinden, where a Tetsuro clone is doing naughty things in every episode :D

Bought it, flipped through, stuck it at the bottom of a VERY large reading pile ;) Given that this also includes several Buronson/Tetsuo Hara manga, Kamui Den, City Hunter, Bastard!!, Violence Jack and three shelves of Japanese SF/fantasy novels, *and* I've got 30 additional mecha/robot shows to watch, I'd say it's got little chance of being read in the next decade! :( And that's just the Japanese. Not including re-reads and re-watches...

And of course *everything* stops for at least a week later this year when the new Steve Erickson novels comes out... <droools>

In all seriousness like a lot of the non-Harlock/GE999/SF type Matsumoto manga, I'll probably just read it once - not all of his are "keepers"!

...my reading pile needs help, it seems - anyone in with a chance of stopping Hideyuki Kikuchi writing Vampire Hunter D novels?? :roll:
Helen Fayle

Postby animekritik » Wed May 16, 2012 3:39 pm

Hmm, you're definitely a completist, Helen. Like, if a new Leiji manga came out and you thought you would hate it you'd still buy it :P

I'm sure I'll read Seibonjinden at some point, but I bet you after Otoko Oidon and the Ganso Dai Yojohan which I'm currently reading, it'll be getting very repetitive. By that point, I'll probably be looking forward to the kinky scenes :D
animekritik
Revolutionary

Postby Helen Fayle » Thu May 17, 2012 1:35 pm

Hmm, you're definitely a completist, Helen. Like, if a new Leiji manga came out and you thought you would hate it you'd still buy it

LOL! You already know me so well... ;)

Actually it's more to do with not being able to find out much about what the early manga are like, and the only way to find out was to buy - but since there's no ready market for getting rid of stuff I don't like in Japanese, once I've bought it I'm stuck with it!

However the odd "gem" does get found in the most unlikely places, since the publishers have a tendency to stick odd one-shot manga in at the end of a volume here and there, so I do have a couple of little extras I might not otherwise have found stuffed at the end of an otherwise uninteresting tale!

H
Helen Fayle

Postby iskra » Sat May 19, 2012 6:38 am

Helen Fayle wrote:Actually it's more to do with not being able to find out much about what the early manga are like, and the only way to find out was to buy - but since there's no ready market for getting rid of stuff I don't like in Japanese, once I've bought it I'm stuck with it!

Hehe, that's exactly how I was buying Leiji's manga. I've got two shelves of those by now and I can't even read Japanese! Page through a volume or two now and then, like a 3 year old...

Tochiro and Shinonoura halfway down a cliff is one of my favorite moments too! I really appreciate Shinunora's sense of humour :D

Tochiro's sis (Shizuka?) though seemed to be not all there. Looked like she wasn't impressed too much with either seeing Tochiro or being kidnapped by the Darkmeister again. Might have given a hug to her little brother, no?
iskra
Rabbit

Postby Helen Fayle » Sun May 20, 2012 8:33 pm

Tochiro's sis (Shizuka?) though seemed to be not all there. Looked like she wasn't impressed too much with either seeing Tochiro or being kidnapped by the Darkmeister again. Might have given a hug to her little brother, no?

It's a Leijiverse trope... missing presumed dead elder siblings/parents (and in some cases unrelated substitutes - I'm looking at you, Harlock...) usually don't go for the group hug-I'm-so-glad-you're-alive thing upon discovery... Actually I'd say Tochiro's lucky he doesn't get bitch-slapped to the ground, told not to be such an idiot and to man up to deal with the big bad! ;)

H
Helen Fayle

Next

Return to The Leijiverse